Sunday, September 11, 2011

Broadcast Critique: "Psychology"

Me and my partner focused our broadcast segment on the new psychology course in Capuchino High School.

I came up with the idea when me and my partner were trying to decide what topic we should base our segment on. While we were deciding, I wanted to have a topic that was new to our school and can be really informative to the students and I realized that the new psychology course would be perfect for this. We knew that the interviewees had to be the teachers who teach the course and some students who have enrolled in the class. We wanted to have more than one teacher and more than one student to interview so there would be variety in their answers, which would be more informative and more interesting to the viewers. In order to gather our interviews, we made appointments with the teachers for when they wanted to be interviewed and we also asked around for students in the course who wanted to be interviewed. Our interview questions were very focused and to the point of the topic because they questioned what the course is about and how its different from other classes, but at the same time they gave responses that made the course seem very fun and interesting. Me and my partner both came up with ideas that made the piece different from other segments, by shooting our b-roll so that it would match the topic of the segment while it still portrayed what the interviewee was saying. Like the book that flipped through different subjects as she talked about how the course was different. Also instead of asking the questions in a voice over, I asked the question on camera that made it look like I needed psychological enlightenment.

Our backgrounds that we chose for out shots were areas around our school since our school is where the psychology course takes place. But we wanted interesting backgrounds that would keep the viewers interested and would make the piece more professional. I'm certain that I filmed the teacher interviews and the b-roll while my partner filmed the student interviews and me asking the questions, which will make most of the shots similar in style and focus. Most of our b-roll was what we were filming in the moment and was not staged, except for when I asked the questions to the camera. With the b-roll and interviews, I took the rule of thirds into account and based many shots off of that, especially in the interviews with the waist shots. Zooming was used with shots we were unable to get close enough to and also to create more focus on what was being filmed, but there wasn't that much b-roll because a lot of unnecessary shots would take away from the focus and meaning of what the interviewees are saying. We avoided excessive zooming to give the shots better quality and give the audience a sense of awareness. For outside shots, I would take into account where the sun is facing and would make the people face the sun while talking to the camera to get more better lighted shot and so the interviewees wouldn't appear dark. The overall audio was good, but many factors would distort it like the construction going on in the background or if the mic was not close enough to the speaker.

I came up with the idea to talk to the audience when i asked the question because by asking the audience what they don't have the answer to, would make them more likely to want to find out what it is that they couldn't figure out. In the intro, I asked the question to the camera while walking towards it to give make it as if I were asking the audience to make them pay more attention to me. Our segment was very informative and I believe it covered the overall message of what psychology is about and why it is interesting. Our voice over questions do very much blend together with the interviews because they address a new topic that the interviewees would answer. I decided to end the piece with a different person speaking to the audience because we made it seem as if I was enrolling in the class, and he told them that they should enroll to.

Our b-roll reflects the audio very well, because it matches what is being said as well as the tone, which makes it more interesting to the audience. We did transition in our audio and video by using a question and answer structure where I would ask the question and they would answer and then I would ask another question and it would continue. There weren't any special effects or animation, but we came up with ideas where we manipulated many camera techniques to make it look like we had special effects, but they really weren't. For example, one shot would show me on the right side of the wall then would pan over to show me on the other side. We did this shot in one take, where I would stand on one side, then my partner would pan very slowly, so once I was out of the shot, I would walk behind him and stand on the other side. In the edit, we sped up the pan so the audience would have a more difficult time in trying to figure out how we did that. So we used a lot of camera techniques to film all of our shots, but didn't incorporate any special effects, which I believe the segment wouldn't have been as interesting if special effects were included.

Overall, what I liked about the piece was how me and my partner were able to create ideas that made this piece very different from others and especially the unique way of how the questions were filmed, which made the segment funny and entertaining. If we had more time, I would probably shoot some more shots over again because the audio wasn't that great in most shots. I would say the most important lesson that I can take from this is that always find a way to make a specific piece creative and would add more to what the piece is about and the overall meaning that it gives to the audience. Also always consider what would make the piece interesting to you because if it's interesting to you then it will be interesting to others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment